We all want our dogs to live a long and happy life with us. Early detection of changes in an aging dog’s health allows you to do more to help your special companion. Our Twice for Life Senior Dog recommendations are based on AAHA life stage and senior care guidelines and are also what Martensville Veterinary Hospital staff members do for our own senior dogs every year. We are a full-service animal hospital offering wellness programs for pets of all ages and emergency services including surgery.
Click on the links below, or select topics to the left to learn more about keeping your senior dog healthy. It’s never too late for home grooming, weight management or dental care. If you can’t find what you are looking for here, or need more tips to put it into action, please call us.
THE PLAN DETAILS
The following details are for our Twice for Life Senior Dog Annual Plan. Contact us for pricing specifics and options!
- Two complete physical exams.
- Appropriate vaccines (includes the Bordetella Vaccine).
- Appropriate dewormer.
- Blood work
– To check the function of the internal organs such as the liver and kidneys.
– Is vital in the diagnosis of infections, anemia, and many other diseases.
– T4a (a blood test that measures the level of thyroid hormone circulating in the blood). The thyroid gland controls the pet’s metabolism and may become underactive in senior dogs.
- A complete urinalysis
– Urine contains by-products from many organs and abnormal levels of these by-products can indicate diseases including diabetes, liver, and kidney disease.
– Tests for crystals and infections in the bladder.
- Necessary radiographs
– Elderly pets are prone to spinal disease and arthritis; radiographs can indicate the level of bone deterioration.
– Heart and lung disease are also detectable by radiographs.
- Free nutrition counseling.
- Free joint care counseling.
- Free behaviour counseling.
- Customized weight program.
- One free anal gland expression (if needed).
- Dental Procedure
– Includes dental radiographs, assessment, cleaning, and polishing under general anesthesia with IV fluids and advanced monitoring.
– The costs associated with dental surgery including tooth extractions are not included.
- Discount on additional exams during the year if they are required